Write Magic with Alice McTyer
"I love my story." We want you to hear this every day, from every student. How do we help you make this happen? The answer might surprise you. We show you exactly how to teach your students to create and comprehend stories like adult authors do. That is, using an intuitive, meaning-based effective story literacy method that is the opposite of how children are usually taught fiction creation and comprehension in the classroom. Oddly enough, the science proves that even young, reluctant and less-able school students more easily learn and apply story literacy methods taught to adult authors. The science proves it. Writing talent, reading enthusiasm: not required: Instantly make narrative writing and fiction reading comprehension easy and fun for all your students. We offer K-12 teacher PD in effective story literacy. You will learn a single, intuitive, research-backed method that will help all your students:
- Create stories they care about in a way that's proven to engage audiences.
- Create logical cohesive stories that are rich with theme, purpose and meaning.
- Comprehend the stories they read by understanding the point, purpose, structure and themes of good fiction.
- Enjoy reading more - once they understand how good stories trulyy work.
NESA-Accredited, certificate 6.5-hour, online course with lesson plans, teacher’s manual, tailored feedback and support.
Discover the surprisingly simple effective story writing and reading comprehension method that works
Imagine if you had a single, simple method that helps all your K-12 students:
- Create effective stories that they love; and
- Comprehend the point, purpose and themes of stories they read.
Imagine if your students could learn how great stories really work in less than an hour of teaching time, regardless of their age or abilities. And imagine if you had a proven, step-by-step recipe to do all this. One that comes with a teacher’s manual, age / ability- differentiated lesson plans and worksheets, and ongoing support.
Almost 60 years of learning science has proven a number of key benefits for teaching children a precise and proven story literacy method called Effective Narrative. Perhaps surprisingly, it’s based on a method taught to adult authors, but is easy for even very young, reluctant, and less-able K-12 students to learn and apply. This meaning-based authorship method is also very different to the narrative teaching methods you are probably used to.
What you’ll learn
How to quickly and easily teach your students to compose effective narratives that they love
Writing / composing outcomes
Your students will be able to:
- Easily create logical, and cohesive stories that are rich with theme and meaning; and
- Structure their stories in a way that’s proven to authentically engage audiences.
Writing / composing engagement
Learn how to give your students precise control over the point. purpose, theme and characters in their stories. This means they can compose stories about themes and topics that have meaning to them.
How to use the same method to boost reading comprehension outcomes and engagement
Comprehension / analysis outcomes
This method is proven to help students of all ages – and most abilities – mentally organise, comprehend and recall the point, purpose, structure and themes of stories they read, hear or watch.
The science shows that children will better enjoy reading stories when they know how good stories truly work.
Precisely how to teach Effective Narrative – in 2 steps
- Students read a couple of excerpts from quality published fiction. They then analyse the excerpts using a few simple, targeted questions. Each question maps to an effective narrative rule.
- Students use these same questions on the provided age / ability-differentiated worksheets to both plan great narratives and analyse good fiction.
How to make great literacy teaching easier
- You only need one method to teach narrative writing and fiction reading comprehension. Learning in both areas therefore reinforce each other.
reading comprehension tasks, too. How does that work? The story industry experts tell us that the same simple set of Effective Narrative rules underpin great stories across genre, length and form. That includes novels, short stories, micro-fiction, oral traditions from many cultures, folk tales, plays, TV shows, movies and comics. You also only need this one method for all your narrative writing tasks, topics and genre requirements, and many fiction
- It’s simple: many teachers are surprised how easy and intuitive adult authorship methods are to teach and learn. Indeed, learning the basics of effective narrative requires only two steps and about an hour of teaching time.
- It’s easier for your students, too. Students can start learning this method in kindergarten, then build on this knowledge through to senior high school. After all, these are adult authorship methods that are proven to be easy and engaging for young children to learn.
- The truth about what engages young readers and writers – and how to do it.
- Why narrative writing methods often taught in schools can be unnecessarily difficult and non-engaging – and lead to poorer-quality stories.
- A step-by-step recipe that even young, reluctant and less-able children can use to plan and create compelling, logical and meaningful stories.
- How to use the age / ability-differentiated lesson plans, templates and worksheets you will use in the classroom.
- How to extend the Effective Narrative strategy to new fictional texts and writing topics.
What you get
This course comes with everything you need to teach Effective Narrative writing and reading comprehension in the classroom, including:
- Age / ability-differentiated lesson plans and student worksheets
- 365-day access to course materials
- Meets NESA’s new accreditation standards and Australian Teaching Standards (see details below).
- Practice with – and tailored feedback on – the tasks you will use in the classroom
- Support tailored to your individual teaching needs
- Access to a friendly, supported and monitored Face Book group to collaborate and share, and get exclusive resources.
This course will transform the way you understand and teach narrative writing. But if it doesn’t, we will happily refund your course fees, no questions asked.
Are you struggling to engage all your students in writing?
Perhaps it’s time to teach them to write and read like great authors do
Effective narrative is a meaning-based method taught to authors. It has nothing to do with the abstract and difficult-to-apply “story form” narrative writing approaches usually taught in schools. By story form, we mean complex writing models built on hook sentences, consolidation, rising tension, three problems, climaxes and conclusions. Story Form approaches can be hard enough for adults to apply to their writing, let alone young school children. Worse, a focus on story form disconnects the writer from the story they want to tell.
Effective Narrative is the opposite: it teaches students to write and comprehend stories like great authors do, namely from a place of meaning, not story form. In a nutshell, authors know that effective narrative allows them to create the stories that they want to tell, but in a way that authentically engages audiences. Wouldn’t you like to give your students the same opportunity?
Perhaps surprisingly, considerable cognitive development and literacy research proves that school-age children find writing and reading like good authors do relatively easy.
NESA Accreditation and Teaching Standards
All courses align with professional teaching standards.
NESA-Accredited PD: NSW Teachers
Completing The Story Engine: Effective Narrative Made Easy will contribute 6 hours and 30 minutes of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum/Early Years Learning Framework addressing standard descriptors 1.1.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 2.2.2, 3.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Please Note: This course is NESA accredited by Write Magic. Teacher Professional Development is not responsible for submitting NESA PD hours or providing a certificate for this course. Upon completion of this course, the course provider Alice at Write Magic will be in contact with the necessary details for NESA. Or place contact Alice at [email protected]
For Australian Teachers
The Story Engine: Effective Narrative Made Easy meets the following standards at the proficient teacher level: 2.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 2.2.2, 2.3.2, 2.5.2, 3.1.2, 3.2.2, 6.2.2, 6.4.2, 7.4.2.
Contact [email protected] if you require details on how this course meets the requirements.