International Hummus Day
Today is International Hummus Day, celebrating and appreciating the delicious dip! There’s a lot to love about hummus thanks to those super healthy chickpeas. It contains a heap of essential vitamins and minerals, it’s high in fibre, low GI and it’s a great snack to have on hand if you’re catering for people with nut, gluten or dairy allergies.
Many kids don’t like the flavour and texture of chickpeas so it can be difficult to get them to try a dish like hummus. But we have just the recipe to help you convince your students to give it a try!
This chocolate hummus works perfectly as a healthy dessert or sweet snack. It’s a super quick and healthy recipe your cherubs will want to whip up themselves at home time and time again. International Hummus Day is the perfect opportunity to introduce this recipe to your students and tell them about the nutritional benefits of adding chickpeas to their diet.
3 cups of cooked chickpeas
7 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tsp of vanilla essence
1/2 tsp of salt
8 tbsp of unsweetened baking cocoa
4 tbsp of water
Fruit (you could use strawberries, blueberries, bananas, apples or raspberries)
Dried fruit (suggestions include apricots, apple slices, pineapple or banana chips)
1. Place the chickpeas in a strainer to drain and rinse them.
2. Place the rinsed chickpeas, maple syrup, vanilla essence, salt and unsweetened baking cocoa in a food processor or blender and blend for up to a minute or until smooth.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the mixture and blend again. Continue adding and blending in 1 tablespoon of water until you have achieved your desired consistency.
4. Prepare your sides. If you choose to serve the hummus with fruit, slice or chop the fruit into large chunks. If you choose to serve with pita bread, toast the bread under the grill for around 5 minute or until golden. Cut into quarters or eighths, depending on the size of your pita.
5. Serve the chocolate hummus in a small bowl along with your chosen sides to dip in.
We hope you and your cherubs love cooking this chocolate hummus recipe for International Hummus Day!