This course has been designed to assist teachers who are new to teaching Design and Technology or those who need a refresher. The focus of the HSC course is on the Major Design Project.
This course will focus heavily on assisting participants through all components of the MDP, providing advice on project ideas and portfolio templates. This course will also provide strategies and ideas for assessment structure, the innovation case study and examination tips.
Teachers new to Design and technology or teachers who would like some new ideas.
Session 1 – Major Design Project
- Participants will gain insight on strategies to assist their students in choosing a successful Major Design Project. Each phase of the portfolio will be discussed as well as some tips and tricks for setting up your MDP for marking.
Session 2 – Innovation Case Study
- This session will break down the case study which asks students to critically analyse an innovation. Participants will be given strategies to use to assist students to conduct a detailed case study of an innovation.
- We will also spend some time looking at entrepreneurial activity.
Session 3 – Examination Tips and Tricks
- Participants will learn ways to specifically teach the verbs.
- Participants will learn how to use the syllabus not only in their planning but also in their lessons.
- Participants will discuss the topics of Ethical and Environmental Issues as well as Emerging Technologies and given strategies to teach these explicitly.
- Online tools for revision will also be discussed.
Session 4 – Scope and Sequence and Assessment Options
- Participants will discuss the best way to structure assessments in the HSC course.
- Participants will be given various samples to assist students with keeping up to date with their MDP and exam revision.
- Possible videos, apps and online tools will be discussed in this session.
Online – 24/7 access to learn at your own pace.
Completing Online HSC Design & Technology – Stage 6 Success will contribute 2.5 hours of Elective PD addressing 2.1.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
2.1.2 Proficient Level – Apply knowledge of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area to develop engaging teaching activities.