This online course is designed to provide teachers with engaging resources, including a complete unit of work, for the new Engineered Systems context area. This course is a fantastic opportunity for design and technology teachers to get hands-on experience with designing, prototyping and testing an engineered system that demonstrates force, motion, and energy. Teachers will gain a clear understanding of how to follow an engineering design process to create and communicate innovative solutions to authentic problems. Teachers will learn about the engineering design principles that underpin this process. Gaining knowledge and practical skills needed to create student projects that produce sustainable engineered systems, machines, and structures. As an industrial designer and experienced engineering teacher, I can provide you with some useful tips and strategies to engage all your students in studying the new syllabus in the following sessions:
- Introduction to Engineered Systems and unpacking course content and outcomes
- Practical focus – design, communicate and construct an engineered systems
- Theory focus – learn engineering concepts and about the role of engineers in our society.
This course is fantastic for teachers who are teaching Technology Mandatory from the new syllabus in 2019 who wish to enhance their strategies, content knowledge and resources. Year 7 and Year 8.
- Functional project to make (Pinball Machine)
- Design folio
- Supporting resources
- Unit of work
Session 1 – Introduction to Engineered Systems and unpacking course content and outcomes.
- Review students prior knowledge of engineered systems
- Learn what makes a suitable engineered system project for Stage 4 students.
- Explore the syllabus requirements for design and production processes.
Session 2 – Practical focus – design, communicate and construct an engineered systems
- Ideate using design thinking techniques to develop students critical and creative thinking skills.
- Explore how sketching, modelling and CAD are used in engineering design to communicate design solutions.
- Learn how to construct an engineered system using a broad range of materials to produce a quality product.
Session 3 – Theory focus – learn engineering concepts and the role of engineers in our society.
- Investigate how force, motion and energy operate within engineered systems to optimise design solutions.
- Learn how engineers classify materials and define material properties to aid design solutions.
- Explore the role of engineers in our society.
Session 4 – Feedback
- Review unit and marking criteria for project.
- Complete course feedback
Delivery Format Online 24/7 access to learn at your own pace. Duration 4.5 hours
2.1.2 Proficient Level – Apply knowledge of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area to develop engaging teaching activities.