Skill up your students on Food Additives!
Food Additives are a complex topic. Help your students understand them with this detailed PowerPoint and student worksheet.
Enjoy the teacher instructions that accompany this task with suggestions for class collaboration to enable student engagement. Students can create a summary table of the food additives and categories as well as some reflection questions. There is an opportunity for students to attempt a ‘brain stretch’ extended response if desired.
- 16 Slides ‘The Role of Food Additives’ PowerPoint Presentation
- 5 page Student Worksheet
- Teacher Instructions and Suggestions
This resource can be differentiated at the discretion of the classroom teacher based on the needs of students.
NSW Food Technology Years 7-10 Syllabus 2019
Food Product Development
- investigate the role of food additives in food processing
NSW Food Technology Stage 6 Syllabus
Students Learn about
- role of food additives in the manufacturing process
Western Australia Year 12 Syllabus Food Science and Technology
Unit 4 – The future of food
Properties of food
- factors that impact on the properties of food
– additives – thickeners, anti-caking agents, humectants, colourings and flavourings,
preservatives, and artificial sweeteners
QLD Food & Nutrition 2019 General Senior Syllabus
Relevant to these dot points
- reviewing the food processing techniques used to control the accessibility and the consumability of food sources, including: application of cold by chilling, freezing, freeze-drying; application of heat by blanching, boiling, braising; evaporation; pasteurisation; canning/bottling; ultra-high temperature (UHT); dehydration; change of pH through the addition of acid and alkali; and additives, e.g. salt, antioxidants
- explaining the cooking and processing techniques used to improve the palatability of protein-based foods, including: canning; dehydration; change of pH through the addition of acid and alkali; additives, e.g. salt, antioxidants; physical manipulation, e.g. tenderisation, aeration; and application of heat, e.g. grilling, roasting, poaching, braising and frying
VCE Food Studies Syllabus
Unit 2 Food Makers
- the structure and purpose of the Food Standards Code, including use of food additives and food labelling regulations