Let’s visit Cove, a virtual dining experience to inspire students learning on a digital platform!
This resource was developed to inspire students and take them on a fine dining video learning adventure. Whilst we cannot visit fine dining restaurants currently due to COVID-19, many of our students may not have access or opportunity to visit such an establishment at the best of times. So, let’s take them there digitally so they may engage with beautifully presented foods and the impact of the food service and catering industry on society.
This resource contains a link to a video created to enable students to feel as if they are dining at Cove Virtual Restaurant.
The video walks students through some 5-star reviews describing the physical properties of 3 different Michelin Star dishes. Students then ‘enter’ the restaurant, are ‘seated’ by the waitress, shown the menu and ‘served’ six courses.
Students can then fill in the 10-page student work sheet at their own pace which addresses 4 outcomes and 14 dot points across 7 focus areas. It is a rich literacy outcome task which includes metalanguage examples and learning intentions and success criteria.
This resource includes a mapping grid so that teachers may see where outcomes and dot points are being worked towards. This will assist in this unusual environment when assessing and reporting on student progress can be difficult. It also includes task feedback guidelines to streamline the marking process.
The worksheets can be completed on a digital platform and includes Word and PDF formats so you may choose how to share them with students. Activities may also be printed out for students to work on if this is preferred.
- 1 x Virtual Dining Video
- 1 x 4-page Teacher document with an outcome mapping grid and task feedback guidelines.
- 1 x 10-page Student Worksheet in Word and PDF format
- 6 pages of questions + two metalanguage tables, Personal and Social Capability Self-Check and Feedback Grid.
Stage 5 Food Technology Syllabus 2019
FT5-3 describes the physical and chemical properties of a variety of foods
FT5-8 collects, evaluates, and applies information from a variety of sources
FT5-9 communicates ideas and information using a range of media and appropriate terminology
FT5-12 examines the relationship between food, technology, and society
Food in Australia:
- investigate multicultural influences on contemporary Australian diets, for example:
- effects of immigration on lifestyle and food habits
- types of foods and flavourings
- preparation techniques and cooking methods, e.g. steaming, stir-frying, smoking
- examine influences on food selection, for example:
- discuss influences on food availability, for example:
- geography and climate
- religious and cultural beliefs
- countries affected by conflict
- technological developments, e.g. improved transportation
Food Selection and Health:
- outline the functions and sources of nutrients, including proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and water
- investigate factors that influence food habits, for example:
- tradition and culture
- economic situation
- influence of media and social media
Food Service and Catering:
- examine a variety of food service and catering operations, for example:
- for-profit, e.g. restaurants, mobile food trucks
- discuss the contribution of the food service and catering industry to society, for example:
- discuss reasons for cooking food, for example: (ACTDEK045)
- sensory properties, e.g. colour, flavour, texture• describe employment opportunities, for example:
- front of house, e.g. waiter, barista
- back of house, e.g. chef, kitchen hand
- explore menu-planning considerations, for example:
- type of menu, e.g. à la carte, buffet, silver service
Food for Specific Needs
- investigate circumstances which lead to specific food needs, for example:
- Aboriginal cultural considerations, e.g. not consuming or preparing foods associated with totems
- health status or disability, e.g. diet-related disorders
- religious beliefs
- lifestyle choices, e.g. vegetarianism
Food for Special Occasions
- explore reasons for celebrating with food, for example:
- investigate the importance of food presentation and service for special occasions, for example: (ACTDEK045)
- garnishing and decorating techniques
- investigate trends in food presentation and styling, for example: (ACTDEK045)
- garnishing and decorating
- plating styles
Australian Curriculum – Design and Technologies
Year 7 & 8
- Analyse ways to produce designed solutions through selecting and combining characteristics and properties of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment (ACTDEK034)
Year 9 & 10
Investigate and make judgements on how the principles of food safety, preservation, preparation, presentation and sensory perceptions influence the creation of food solutions for healthy eating (ACTDEK045)
Resource Type: Digital Resource, PDF, Word Document, Video
Digital File Type: PDF (Acrobat) Document File, Microsoft Word Document
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional pack.
Please be aware that any company content, resources and materials purchased from Teacher Professional Development is permitted to one (1) user licence.
Teacher Professional Development own and maintain the intellectual property rights to their Resources and grant licenses to use such Resources and materials. When you purchase a Resource from TPD, you are also purchasing a license to use the Resource in accordance with the terms of this Resource Licensing Policy.
All other uses are prohibited without written consent. It is in violation of the Copyright Act to share, reproduce, redistribute, sell, broadcast, rent, share, lend, modify, adapt, edit, create derivative works of, license, or otherwise transfer or use any company course content unless we give you explicit permission to do so. Company course content is licenced, and not sold, to you. Instructors may not grant you licence rights to content you access or acquire through the services, and any such direct licence shall be null and void and a violation of these Terms. You may not post or otherwise make any TPD Resource available on any website, forum or other medium.