Help your students understand food additives through gamification.
This game pack has 48 individual UNO Food Additive cards. This deck of cards aims to investigate the role of food additives in food processing in a fun and engaging manner. Each card has a different food additive or food additive related question.
Cards display additives with either a smiley face or a sad face to indicate whether they have a positive or negative effect on the body.
This is a digital download and is best printed double-sided from the PDF download, so cards are printed correctly. Multiple packs can be printed and played in small groups in the classroom.
- 48 UNO Food Additive Cards
- Rules of Play
This resource can be differentiated at the discretion of the classroom teacher based on the needs of students.
Food Product Development
- investigate the role of food additives in food processing
Students Learn about
- role of food additives in the manufacturing process
Unit 4 – The future of food
Properties of food
- factors that impact on the properties of food
– additives – thickeners, anti-caking agents, humectants, colourings and flavourings,
preservatives, and artificial sweeteners
Relevant to these dot points
- reviewing the food processing techniques used to control the accessibility and the consumability of food sources, including: application of cold by chilling, freezing, freeze-drying; application of heat by blanching, boiling, braising; evaporation; pasteurisation; canning/bottling; ultra-high temperature (UHT); dehydration; change of pH through the addition of acid and alkali; and additives, e.g. salt, antioxidants
- explaining the cooking and processing techniques used to improve the palatability of protein-based foods, including: canning; dehydration; change of pH through the addition of acid and alkali; additives, e.g. salt, antioxidants; physical manipulation, e.g. tenderisation, aeration; and application of heat, e.g. grilling, roasting, poaching, braising and frying
Unit 2 Food Makers
- the structure and purpose of the Food Standards Code, including the use of food additives and food labelling regulations
File Type: PDF (Acrobat) Document File and Word Doc
Downloadable File Size: PDF 1.3 MB, Word Doc 1.8 MB, Rules of Play 457.3 KB.
Download Limit: 1 download
Resource Type: Game
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional pack.
Please be aware that any company content, resources and materials purchased from Teacher Professional Development is permitted to one (1) user licence.
Teacher Professional Development own and maintain the intellectual property rights to their Resources and grant licenses to use such Resources and materials. When you purchase a Resource from TPD, you are also purchasing a license to use the Resource in accordance with the terms of this Resource Licensing Policy.
All other uses are prohibited without written consent. It is in violation of the Copyright Act to share, reproduce, redistribute, sell, broadcast, rent, share, lend, modify, adapt, edit, create derivative works of, license, or otherwise transfer or use any company course content unless we give you explicit permission to do so. Company course content is licenced, and not sold, to you. Instructors may not grant you licence rights to content you access or acquire through the services, and any such direct licence shall be null and void and a violation of these Terms. You may not post or otherwise make any TPD Resource available on any website, forum or other medium.