Take your class through the PowerPoint of foodborne illness, then students work on solving 7 foodborne illness cases!
Foodborne Illness – The Case Files is designed to engage students and help them understand six types of foodborne illness. They will learn symptoms, causes and methods of prevention for salmonella, listeria, staphylococcal, botulism, perfringens and e.coli.
There are 7 ‘Case Files’ that follow on in the PowerPoint. You can read through these scenarios as a class. Students then identify the likely foodborne illnesses and justify why they believe this is the case and complete the worksheet included.
- 15 slide PowerPoint with information and ‘The Case Files’
- 2-page student worksheet
- Teacher answer guide for suggested responses
NSW Stage 6 Food Technology Syllabus
Preliminary Food Quality
P4.1 selects appropriate equipment, applies suitable techniques and utilises safe and hygienic practices when handling food
Students learn about:
Safe storage of food
- methods of storing foods to maintain quality such as dry storage, cold storage and freezing
- safe and hygienic work practices when handling food
Students learn to:
- describe methods of storing foods to maintain sensory characteristics and ensure safety
NSW Stage 5 Food Technology Years 7-10 Syllabus 2019
FT5-2 identifies, assesses and manages the risks of injury and WHS issues associated with the handling of food
- demonstrate safe and hygienic work practices, for example: (ACTDEK045, ACTDEP050)
- personal hygiene
- food safety, eg the food danger zone, cross-contamination
- safe work practices
- use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
NSW Technology Mandatory Syllabus 2017
Agriculture and Food Technologies
- identify and apply safe and ethical work practices, for example: DT
– correct use of tools and equipment
– food safety and hygiene practices
NSW Hospitality Curriculum Framework Stage 6 Syllabus
SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
-food contamination and foodborne illness
Australian Curriculum- Design and Technologies Year 9-10
Knowledge and understanding
- Investigate and make judgements on how the principles of food safety, preservation, preparation, presentation and sensory perceptions influence the creation of food solutions for healthy eating(ACTDEK045)
WA Food Science and Technology ATAR Year 11 and 12 Syllabus
- understand the importance of safe, sustainable practices when developing and using food-related technologies.
Victorian Certificate of Education Food Studies Study Design
Unit 3: Food in Daily Life
- use equipment and techniques appropriately, justify and apply principles of safe and hygienic food handling practices in the prevention of food poisoning, and demonstrate organisational and technical skills in relation to the preparation, cooking and presentation of nutritious meals in a range of practical activities.
QLD Food & Nutrition 2019 v1.1 General Senior Syllabus
3.5 Topic 3: Labelling and food safety
- explain critical control points (CCPs) relating to food safety and potential sources of contamination, including biological hazards, e.g. pathogenic microorganisms, insects, animals.
SA South Australian Certificate of Education
Food and HospitalityFood and Hospitality
Area of Study 4: Food and Safety
This area of study could include topics such as the following:
- occupational health and safety
- consumer protection and the rights of individuals
- safe food practices.
Tasmanian Government Department of Education
Food and Cooking Essentials
- work safely and hygienically when storing, preparing and handling food
VET UNIT SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
-food contamination and foodborne illness
Resource Type: PowerPoint, Activity.
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional pack.
Please be aware that any company content, resources and materials purchased from Teacher Professional Development is permitted to one (1) user licence.
Teacher Professional Development own and maintain the intellectual property rights to their Resources and grant licenses to use such Resources and materials. When you purchase a Resource from TPD, you are also purchasing a license to use the Resource in accordance with the terms of this Resource Licensing Policy.
All other uses are prohibited without written consent. It is in violation of the Copyright Act to share, reproduce, redistribute, sell, broadcast, rent, share, lend, modify, adapt, edit, create derivative works of, license, or otherwise transfer or use any company course content unless we give you explicit permission to do so. Company course content is licenced, and not sold, to you. Instructors may not grant you licence rights to content you access or acquire through the services, and any such direct licence shall be null and void and a violation of these Terms. You may not post or otherwise make any TPD Resource available on any website, forum or other medium.