An engaging way to introduce students to the functional properties of food!
A great PowerPoint pack to help students understand the complex information surrounding the functional properties of food. This resource can be used from Years 9 – Year 12.
This resource includes a PowerPoint presentation that outlines the functional properties of food and gives student real examples that relate directly to the Berry Meringue Cupcake recipe. This recipe is included for you to complete as a practical lesson with your students. There is also a 5-page student worksheet on the functional properties of food for students to complete after seeing the PowerPoint and cooking the cupcakes.
- 23-page Functional Properties of Food PowerPoint
- 5-page student worksheet
- Berry Meringue Cupcake Recipe
Stage 5 Food Technology Years 7-10 Syllabus 2019
- describes the physical and chemical properties of a variety of foods FT5-3
- investigate functional properties of food, for example: (ACTDEK045)
- denaturation of proteins
- dextrinisation of carbohydrates
- emulsification of lipids
Stage 6 from Food Technology Stage 6 Syllabus 2013
Preliminary Food Technology
P2.2 identifies and explains the sensory characteristics and functional properties of food
P4.4 applies an understanding of the sensory characteristics and functional properties of food to the preparation of food products.
- functional properties of food, including:
- the role of proteins in denaturing, coagulation, gelation, foaming and browning
- the role of carbohydrates in gelatinising, dextrinising, caramelising and crystallising
- the role of fats in emulsifying and aerating
Resource Type: Digital Resource, PowerPoint, Recipe and worksheet
Digital File Type: PowerPoint, PDF (Acrobat) Document File