Surprise your students with this exciting activity exploring Australian food products through time.
Start by giving your students an array of snapshot cards to sort and blu-tack under the 8-decade posters supplied. Students can work in teams or individually to determine which decade each food item was released in.
Teachers’ answers are supplied so that you can provide feedback to the students instantly, and they may have the opportunity to move their card to the correct location.
Students may then fill in the worksheet which gives them the opportunity to practice short and long responses. Perfect for exploring historical changes to Australia’s production and manufacturing processes and the impact of global migration.
- 60 Snapshot Cards
- Snapshot of Food Through Time Student Worksheet.
- 8 Decade Posters
- Teacher Instructions
- Teacher Answers
NSW FOOD TECHNOLOGY STAGE 6 SYLLABUS (2013)
P1.1 identifies and discusses a range of historical and contemporary factors which influence the availability of particular foods
Influences on food availability
Students learn about:
- historical changes to the availability of food, including:
- global migration of cultural groups
- use of foods native to Australia
- technological developments influential on food availability, including:
- production and manufacturing processes and equipment techniques
- storage and distribution techniques
- marketplace practices
Students learn to:
- outline the historical changes to food availability in Australia
ACT BOARD OF SENIOR SECONDARY STUDIES
Food for Life
Food and Culture in Australia
Specific Unit Goals
- outline the historical changes to the availability of food
- investigate and discuss the factors which have influenced the evolution of an Australian cuisine
- identify the major multicultural influences on contemporary Australian diets
VICTORIAN CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION FOOD STUDIES
Area of Study 1
Food around the world
- the effect of industrialisation, technology, and globalisation on food availability, production, and consumption.
- the historical development of food systems, food cultures, and distinctive cuisines, with a focus on one selected region other than Australia
Area of Study 2
Food in Australia
- identify historical patterns of Australian immigration and discuss effects on the nation’s food tastes and behaviours
- explain influences in the development of Australian food production, processing, and manufacturing industries